Friday, June 20, 2008

TGIF

Sitting in a crowded commuter train (at least it's cheap and has great a.c.), I find myself in a weird timewarp. Twenty years ago I left my old employer - NatWest Bank - and set out for new horizons.

At the time, commuting into London (later living there), I said I wanted to leave the rat race, go be an academic, and never succumb to the life of a commuter drone (apologies to those who resemble that remark). However, you would have the last laugh if you were here today...

But wait! Now it is friday. After a week of grading exams, evading office politics, being editorial, working with reluctant grad students, and occassionally even writing something for myself, it is time to head to my favorite bar (see photo) and get a nice cold gin and tonic.

Tomorrow, we head south to Liguria once more, this time by moto. We are visiting our favorite spot - Camogli, and in particular, a little corner called San Frutuoso. This is an amazing little monastery in a small cove, with a little cafe by the shore. It is particularly cool, because you can only reach it by boat, or by a very tough hike. This keeps most of the ne'erdowells away. So.. adieu, farewell, and I will probably post next from the beach.

Ciao from the commuter train (By the way - it IS definitely worth it!)
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

stevievep said...

you may possibly win on the satellite office thing. Just don't brag too loudly, ok? Ciao.